Chapter 1: The Test
- “Yellowneck Uprising” in the deep interior of the earth Kingdom.
- Jianzhu and Kelsang hold a test to determine next Avatar. The same test used on Avatar Aang.
- Avatar Kuruk “passed away at the ripe old age of 33.” The only time Kuruk had ever been early for anything.
- The Elemental cycle is “a process stretching back nearly a thousand generations before Kuruk.”
- “It had been 7 years since Kuruk’s death. 7 years of fruitless searching.” “The hunt for the Avatar had never faltered like this in documented history.”
- Avatar’s are prepared for their duties at the assumption of their power at the age of 16.
Chapter 2: Nine Years Later
- last jar of spicy pickled kelp “this year.” Kelp grows best from Fall and spring in the real world.
Chapter 3: The Boy from Makapu
- History is full of Avatars who wanted to “take it easy.”
- Yun wants to work hard because he was discovered as the Avatar so late.
- Jianzhu has been trying to renegotiate a contract with the daofei Queen of the seas for years.
- They recently surveyed the damage of the largest coordinated raid of the east coast mainlands in over a century.
- Avatar Kuruk was unable to translate his talent to leadership on the world stage.
Chapter 4: Honest Work
- “For the past decade, Kelsong had essentially raised” Kyoshi.
- in the years since Kuruk died, Jianzhu amassed great wealth and influence.
- Kyoshi recites a verse of song Kuruk once used.
Chapter 5: Revelations
- Jianzhu identified Yun as the Avatar “nearly 2 years ago”.
- In the last day of their trip in Makapu, Yun played the same paisho tiles and strategies as Kuruk.
- Kuruk was one the greatest paisho players in history.
- “About 20 years ago.” Kuruk’s companions began to drift apart. Hei-Ran got married that year. Abbot Dorjay was still alive. “Two months after Hei-Ran’s wedding, 3 months before Jianzhu’s father got sick,” Kuruk composed that song for Hei-Ran that Kyoshi recited. “Not long after, Kuruk met Umi.”
Chapter 6: Promises
- Yun wants to be as good as previous avatars’ Yangchen and Salai. Salai is the first named predecessor of Szeto.
- It took Kyoshi a long time to convince herself that she wasn’t in love with Yun.
Chapter 7: The Iceberg:
- Kyoshi had a dream of her parents.
- Kuruk’s companions weren’t the most positive of influences.
- Because of Queen Tadaka, the position of Admiral of Ba Sing Se is defunct.
- The Yellowneck Uprising ended when Jianzhu buried 5000 men alive.
- Queen Tagaka kidnapped over a thousand slaves from the earth kingdom between the vernal equinox and the summer solstice.
- Kyoshi’s first connection with the Avatar State: she brings the ocean floor up to meet the iceberg.
Chapter 8: The Fracture
- Northern and Southern Earth Kingdom dialects are so different they’re starting to become different languages.
- If Kuruk were alive he’d be at the peak of his power.
- First time the fire navy has been able to fly military colors in the eastern sea since the reign of the 22nd earth king.
- “You were asleep for 3 days, Kyoshi.”
Chapter 9: Desperate Measure
- Hei-Ran gives Kyoshi a test meant to test firebending in Fire Nation babies.
- Kyoshi and Yun have previously shared intimate moments.
Chapter 10: The Spirit
- The first time Kuruk practiced going into the Avatar state, they went to a small atoll. After he was done the island wasn’t there anymore.
- “It’s not the solstice, but it’s almost twilight.” Time when communion with spirits is greatest.
- Jianzhu calls spirit “Father Glowworm”. He is the oldest and wisest of the spirits. Kho has been in contact with humans before this.
- Father Glowworm has “tangled” with many of the Avatars past lives.
- Kyoshi revealed to be the true Avatar.
- Father Glowworm has reason to want revenge on Kuruk.
- Yun is sacrificed to Father Glowworm.
- Jianzhu kills Kelsong.
- Kyoshi enters the Avatar state fully for the first time.
Chapter 11: The Inheritance
- When she was “10 or thereabouts” a traveling fireworks vendor was paid to put on a show in Yokoya to celebrate the end of the first harvest. She found a “violated landscape” after being violently ill.
- Rangi joins Kyoshi on the run.
Chapter 12: The Decision
- Kyoshi’s case, being found so late, has never happened in Fire Nation history, according to Rangi. In the fire nation, they hold a festival larger than Twin Sun day when a fire avatar is chosen.
- Kyoshi destroys the turtle toy she received from Kelsong when she was a kid by mistake.
Chapter 13: Adaptation
- Hei-ran and Jianzhu begin looking for Rangi and Kyoshi.
Chapter 14: The Introduction
- “For the past 9 years Kyoshi had never” set eyes on open flatland.
- Rangi knew about Kyoshi’s past.
- The Flying Opera Company hadn’t heard the passphrase that Kyoshi spoke in “years”.
- Rangi knew her parents were daofei.
- “Jessa and Hark slowed down considerably for a few years,” when Kyoshi was born in the Earth Kingdom.
- They abandoned Kyoshi when she was 5 or 6 in a farming village.
- Her mother and father died three years ago from fever.
- Crackdowns on smuggling have been severe the past few years.
- Kyoshi’s journal must be a decade old. With entries that go back further
- Lek would have been 3 years old during the Flying Opera Company’s heyday.
Chapter 15: Escape
- Kyoshi’s mother was an Airbender.
- Lao Ge was rumored to be 200 years old. Known as Tieguai the Immortal.
- He’d assassinated the 40th earth king.
Chapter 16: The Agreement
- Sun hadn’t risen yet. Rangi puts Kyoshi in horse stance.
- Kyoshi’s mum was born at the Eastern air temple, became a master at a very young age.
- Her mother was one of the worst air nomad disgraces in recent memory.
- Lek was picked up after the last of his family died at the Misty Palms Oasis.
- Kyoshi swears in as a daofei.
Chapter 17: Obligations
- Hei-ran and Jianzhu meet twice a day to discuss Kyoshi’s possible whereabouts.
- Hui has been in the ear of Beifong for about a year, scheming to take control of the Avatar away from Jianzhu.
- Yangchen used to write love poetry.
- Lu Beifong was Jianzhu’s old master. Wu-mei, his wife is now dead.
- Hui wasn’t around during the Yellowneck uprising.
- Hui’s undercutting the proposal for a Southern Water Tribe navy will have ramifications for centuries (as seen in Book One of Avatar: The Last Airbender).
- Jianzhu had been buying off nobles and leaders for years.
Chapter 18: The Town
- The Taihua mountains were said “to have swallowed armies in” Ba Sing Se’s founding.
- Once every decade or so, the wind would shift, blowing red dust onto the mountains, making it look like bloody snow.
- After Kyoshi’s parents died, and Pong-Pong left, they exchanged favors from the Autumn Bloom Society. Moon Peaches usually bloom in Spring.
- The Autumn Bloom started off after the Yellownecks scattered.
- “The world waited years for an Avatar. It can wait a little longer. And so can you.”
- Te Sihung’s family inherited an old mansion dating from the 30-somethingth earth king.
- Leader of the Yellownecks has been locked up for 8 years. That’s how long it’s taken for the Autumn Bloom to grow strong enough to break him out.
- The attack on Governor Te’s palace is scheduled 30 days from now.
- Rangi and Kyoshi get together.
Chapter 19: The Beast
- In the old days earth kings would hunt down political enemies with shirzu
- Shirshu haven’t been seen in the wild for “at least a generation.”
Chapter 20: The Avatar’s Masters
- Earth Kings and Avatars past used to come to each other’s aid.
- First time Kyoshi admits she is the Avatar.
- First time Kyoshi waterbends.
- No former Avatar that Kyoshi had known had outlaw companions.
- “The next full moon” is Mok’s assault.
- “It takes years for the Avatar to master all four elements.”
- Rangi’s lineage is an unbroken chain of fire ending teachers, having trained members of the royal family.
- Kuruk was said to be the greatest hunter to ever walk the four nations.
Chapter 21: Preparations
- Kyoshi’s firebending is coming easier now.
- “They say bad things happen to avatars who don’t follow the natural order of bending.” Earth-fire-air-water
- Guru Shoken was a contemporary with Laghima.
- “Yangchen was a devoted reader of Shoken.”
- Lao Ge claims he was always better looking than Shoken, meaning he’s older than Kyoshi assumes.
Chapter 22: Conclusions
- Jianzhu and his riding partners reached the mountains of Ba Sing Se very fast.
- Jianzhu used to track criminals through footprints using earthbending.
- The inhabitants of Hujiang “evacuated some days ago.”
Chapter 23: Questions and Meditations
- The harvest was good this year.
- “Te hasn’t opened his silos for 5 years.” Selling reserves for off the book profits every year since he’s been appointed Governor.
- The 30th earth king was of the Hou(?) dynasty.
Chapter 24: The Face of Tradition
- Full moon: time for raid on Governor Te’s mansion.
- Kyoshi gets her makeup done for the first time.
Chapter 25: The Raid
- The boy is the Governor. He wasn’t old enough to shave. He’s 15, soon. “He’s Lek’s age.”
- His father was Governor before him.
- The day before Kyoshi was scheduled to begin training with Kirima, Rangi made her practice airbending.
- Lao Ge hasn’t failed to take his man in a long time.
- It took 8 years to rescue him
Chapter 26: The Challenge
- Xu Ping An is a bloodthirsty madman
- After Kuruk died they were known as The Dark Days
- Years ago Lao Ge passed through a town in the wake of the Yellownecks. The town was “stacked.”
- “A single moon ago, Kyoshi was the weak link.”
- “The second harvest wouldn’t be ready though”
- Kyoshi challenges Xu Ping An to a lei tai.
- Xu Ping An uses lightning bending.
Chapter 27: Dues
- Kyoshi had never heard of bending lightning.
- Kyoshi succumbs to the Avatar State during Lei Tai.
- Kyoshi defeats Xu Ping An by dropping him from a great height. He dies.
Chapter 28: Memories
- Kyoshi was knocked out for 3 days.
- Kyoshi’s parents spent their “last years with” Lek instead of Kyoshi.
- Leks brother Chen was locked up in a gibbit. He threw rocks at the gibbit for days. Until he passed out. And Jess and Hark picked him up. He couldn’t use his arm for two weeks afterwards.
- Day Grove, the village, doesn’t exist anymore.
Chapter 29: The Ambush
- A little more than a week ago there was an explosion of activity coming from Hue’s offices, which is equivalent to the message that the guard sent out to Hue in that Daofe town.
- “You said Hue started his moves a week ago.” They’re trying to take the reins of the Avatar away from Jianzhu.
- Jianzhu believes he has about 3 weeks to ready a statement on Kyoshi
- Jianzhu had kept Xu Ping An alive so the Fire Nation could study his bending. Was a skill so rare, some thought it was lost to the ages.
- The next day Hue brings a caravan to Jianzhu’s place.
- Jianzhu poisons the company of Earth Kingdom Sages.
Chapter 30: Farewells
- Kyoshi’s hands are burned.
- Kyoshi is technically the leader of the Yellownecks.
- The gloves Kyoshi buys once we’re commissioned by a colonel who died before he could pick them up.
- Rangi taken by Jianzhu’s forces. Lek dies.
Chapter 31: The Return
- The Western coast of the Earth continent had been decimated of it leadership.
- Hei Ron still alive. It’s been a day since poisoning.
- Jianzhu meets Kyoshi in a tea house.
- Yun shows up, wreaks havoc.
- Kyoshi joined Lao Ge in his daily longevity exercises.
- Wong steals a ring that allows him direct personal conversation with the Earth King.
Chapter 32: Hauntings
- Kyoshi visits the Southern Air Temple
- Kyoshi’s companions part ways.
- Kyoshi reveals herself to the elders of the Southern Air Temple.
- Jinpa was to work with Kyoshi for the foreseeable future.
- “Only a few weeks ago,” Jianzhu sent out new copies of his will, placing Kyoshi’s name as the sole heir.
- “Each Avatar was born in fitting times to an era that needed them.”
- The people revered Yangchen.
- The people smiled at Kuruk.
- Jinpa possibly a member of the White Lotus.
- Kuruk in his 30s reaches out to Kyoshi, asking him for help.